The Outstanding Young Professional award from the Students and Young Professional’s Committee recognizes professionals who demonstrate excellence in the profession and are under the age of 35.
1. Submit a narrative which is limited to approximately 6 pages of text. A person may be nominated based on their performance on the job and/or their volunteer involvement.
Please address the following subject areas, if applicable, which are used for the evaluation:
A. Describe the nominee’s job; include his/her functions and relationship to other employees.
- Please describe how the nominee has gone above and beyond expectations while on the job.
- How has the nominee grown as a leader at work? Please provide specific examples.
B. Describe the nominee’s involvement and accomplishments at the Local Section, Regional/State and/or national (WEF) level. Please be specific and describe all participation including meeting/conference attendance, presentations given, any leadership positions held or Committee/Task Force involvement.
- Please describe how the nominee has gone above and beyond expectations.
- How has the nominee grown as a leader? Please provide specific examples.
C. Provide statements from two (2) professional references (e.g. mentor/mentee, coworker, CWEA colleague, etc.) describing their experiences working with the nominee. (Statements are exempt from the 6 page limit.)
Questions about the criteria: Contact Veronica Astells, CWEA SYP Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
Outstanding Young Professional: Joe Gregory, Carmel Area Wastewater District
When Joe joined CWEA in 2012, he had no experience in wastewater and had never worked on a committee. In just four years, he has risen to the position of Safety Committee Chair for the Monterey Bay Section and a committee member on the CWEA Safety Committee. In addition to serving on committees, Joe presented during two safety sessions at this year’s conference.